Chinese Sesame Beef Recipe
In a small saucepan mix:
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 Tablespoon orange peel
* 1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper
Boil above ingredients down to about 1/3 cup juice. Strain and return juice to saucepan.
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 3/4 cup ketchup
* 1/2 cup sherry
* 2 tsp. sesame oil
* 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
* salt, to taste
* 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1. Stir the sauce over low heat until it reaches a low boil.
2. In a separate cup, mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon cold water. Stir until cornstarch dissolves.
3. Add cornstarch mix to the sauce. Stir constantly until thickened.
4. Add 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds. Reduce heat and keep warm until beef is ready.
1. Slice 1/2-3/4 pound lean sirloin or tenderloin into 1/4 inch strips.
2. Coat beef in a mixture of 1 beaten egg, 1/2 tsp. sesame oil, and a pinch of salt.
3. Coat beef in cornstarch, and let sit on wax paper for about 10 minutes (until cornstarch is almost absorbed).
4. Deep fry beef at 350 degrees until slightly brown (about 2 1/2 minutes). Drain on paper towel.
Place beef on a bed of hot rice and cover generously with the sesame sauce.
Back to Chinese Recipes Index